Becoming an adoptive parent or enlarging a family through adoption is an exciting and challenging venture. There are many steps to take and many people to help you. Attorneys and placement agencies provide information and services for parts of the process. The Ametz Adoption Program provides homestudy services and an extensive list of workshops to help you prepare for and live as adoptive families. An Ametz homestudy gives you private time to reflect on issues of adoption and parenting. Our social workers are trained to help you explore your concerns, hopes and dreams about parenting. We do not expect you to have all the answers and our workshops have been created to help you make an educated choice about adoption options, learn what to expect during the adoption process and initial days of parenting and enhance your parenting skills once your child is home.
As one client said having attended ongoing workshops on international parenting, "this was the only place I could share my fears and get real advice and emotional support. I don’t know how I would have survived the process without it."
Workshop offerings are updated throughout the year and have included:
- · How to Adopt Domestically and Internationally
- · International Adoptive Parenting 101: Before the Adoption
- · International Adoptive Parenting 102: After the Adoption
- · Talking About Adoption (workshops for adults)
- · Medical Issues to Consider When Adopting
- · Lifecycles of the Adoptive Family
- · Pick Your Battles: Love, Logic and Limits
- · Adoptive Parenting: Expectations and Realities
- · Single Parenting
- · Building Parent/Child Bonds: Promoting Development
- · Ametz’s annual INFERTILITY, ADOPTION & THE FAMILY COFERENCE
- · Blending Cultures and Traditions: Multicultural Families
- · Jewish Issues in Adoption
- · What They’re Born With..What They Learn: Nature and Nurture
Check our Calendar to find out which workshops are currently being offered. To discuss which workshops are best for you or to register for a particular class, call Ametz at 212-558-9949 or email email@example.com.